Nowadays, when we say that homosexuality is a "sin"
it is a very loaded statement. Why is this so? Does it really advocate
the vilification of homosexual people?
Whose fault is it? Christians? Or society?
I have chosen to address this question on homophobia because I want to be aware of the historical context the contemporary Christian church exists in.
1. Introduction
2. Christian attitudes in society
3. The definition of homosexuality and homophobia
4. Legislation and writings that influenced attitudes towards homosexuality
5. My conclusions on the original question
I have chosen to address this question on homophobia because I want to be aware of the historical context the contemporary Christian church exists in.
1. Introduction
2. Christian attitudes in society
3. The definition of homosexuality and homophobia
4. Legislation and writings that influenced attitudes towards homosexuality
5. My conclusions on the original question
Here is a video that tries to show heterosexuals what it would feel like if their sexual orientation was not the norm.
In this video the young girl is told by her pastor, parents and kids at school that her heterosexuality is a sin. This is shown to be one of the reasons that she eventually kills herself.
The other day my friend said, "I think most people in Australia are accepting of homosexual people now. I think it would be very easy to come out in schools."
I haven't been teaching for very long, but here are some conversations I've had with students about these topics:
Student: Miss! Can we have a debate? Let's debate whether or not homosexuals can get married.
Me: Sure, okay.
Student: I think homosexuals are disgusting. What they do to each other is unnatural.
Student: You're a f****t (to another student)
Me: That's really inappropriate. If he was actually gay that would be really hurtful.
Student: But he's not actually gay!
Me: It's still inappropriate because you don't know whose feelings you might hurt by using that word.
These kids aren't christian, but in our society it is still acceptable to attack gay people verbally and possibly in other areas they are attacked physically too.
Are we responsible for attitudes in schools and in society because we say "homosexuality is a sin"?
Are Christians in the past responsible for these attitudes, or is it just society?
No comments:
Post a Comment